Top 5 Anti-Aging Supplements That Slow Down Agings
Over the past year I have developed a healthy obsession with hunting down the best anti-aging supplements available…
Maybe it’s because I’m now in my forties and my youthful reserve, well, let’s just say “it ain’t what it use to be.”
So, these are Top 5 Anti-Aging Supplements That Slow Down Agings . in today’s post I will review some of my top anti-aging supplements for 2017.
In order to be included in this list, the supplement must be:
- Slow down or, preferably, reverse the signs of “premature aging”,
- The supplement must be easily tolerated, meaning relatively free from negative side effects.
- Must be scientifically validated
- Must have clinically meaningful benefits
Top Supplement #1: Hydrolyzed Collagen
The first supplement on the list is hydrolyzed collagen (also called collagen hydrosylate) and boy do I love this supplement…
The most common reason for recommending hydrolyzed collagen to my patients is for joint distress and arthritis.
That being said, the benefits of collagen go well beyond the benefits to the joints.
Collagen is the most abundant protein within the body; it’s the stuff that holds everything together from the joints to the bones to the muscles, skin and organs.
When the body becomes deficient in collagen, it becomes dysfunctional and can cause tissues to degenerate…
Tissues like the skin and joints…
Do you know the number one cause of collagen deficiency?
After the age of 20, our collagen production drops by approximately 1% per year. So, by the time you reach 70, your collagen production is approximately half what it was when you were 20.
In the interest of brevity, here are the highlights of hydrolyzed collagen:
- Stronger joints – Hydrolyzed collagen is now my most recommended supplement for arthritis, surpassing glucosamine and chondroitin. Why? The simple answer is, “It just works better.”
- Stronger and healthier skin – One study on hydrolyzed collagen peptide found that women who took collagen daily for 12 weeks enjoyed increased collagen density, firmer skin, decreased wrinkle depth, and less skin dryness.
- Stronger bones – Admittedly, there isn’t much data on the impact of collagen on bone strength, but collagen is the primary protein within bones and acts as the scaffolding for the minerals. It’s my belief that collagen will prove quite beneficial for bone health as it has for joints and skin.
- Stronger hair and nails – The hair and nails are not very important to the body so they will get last grab on important nutrients. This makes them a good barometer for how well nourished your body is at this point in time. If your nails are weak, it could mean other tissues, such as the bones, may not have what they need for optimal function.
Although more can be said about the importance of collagen within the body, this should suffice for now!
How To Take Hydrolyzed Collagen
The product we recommend is Collagen Hydrosylate by Great Lakes. The recommended dose is 1 tablespoon twice daily. Collagen Hydrosylate by Great Lakes is produce from grass-fed cows free from unwanted hormones.
For those who prefer a non-bovine source of collagen, we now carry Marine Collagen Peptidesby Vital Proteins. This is a wild, red snapper sourced collagen formula.
That’s all for today, watch tomorrow for the next top supplement of 2016!
Top Supplement #2: Perfect Amino XP
Just like hydrolyzed collagen, Perfect Amino XP has to do with improving repair and recovery of proteins within the body.
That being said, there is a big difference between Perfect Amino and collagen, however…
Whereas collagen supports joints, skin, and bones, Perfect Amino supports the muscle, organs, and immune system.
Yes…you can use both supplements and the benefits would be synergistic.
Perfect Amino XP delivers what’s called “Essential Amino Acids” in precise ratios to stimulate amazing repair and regeneration of the body.
In fact, unlike other protein supplements, which are poorly utilized, 99% of the amino acids in Perfect Amino XP are used to repair the body.
Compare that to other protein sources:
- Egg protein where 52% is wasted, only 48% is utilized
- Meat Sourced Protein where 68% is wasted and only 32% utilized
- Whey & soy protein where 72% is wasted and only 18% utilized
- Branched Chain Amino Acids where some studies suggest 99% is wasted and only 1% utilized
The end result is people FEEL the difference…
Our patients report hair growth (both men and women), improved energy levels, improved muscle strength, stronger nails, and more!
No other amino acid/protein formula is as effective for strengthening the body’s recovery system.
I’m so impressed with this formula that it has overtaken whey protein as my choice protein recommendation!
There is one problem, however…it doesn’t taste great.
That’s okay though, because the benefits are worth it.
So, here are my key points for Perfect Amino…
- You need to take enough of it. Most people will need to take 10 grams per day to really feel the benefit. This equates to two scoops or 10 tablets daily.
- The Perfect Amino is so well used, it is even safe to use in kidney disease patients (though I would start with 5 grams per day)
- Perfect Amino is vegetarian and made in the USA by a highly reputable company.
- Unlike other protein powders, Perfect Amino has 0 grams of sugar.
So, if you feel run down, weak, or like your body isn’t able to recover like it did when you were younger then give Perfect Amino XP a try.
One final tip…
Perfect Amino works best when it is taken away from other proteins, including hydrolyzed collagen.
To incorporate both supplements into your regimen, take the full dose of Perfect Amino in the morning and 2 tablespoons of hydrolyzed collagen at night.
This is the PERFECT combo because Perfect Amino XP increases energy and vitality while hydrolyzed collagen helps to calm the brain and promote healthy sleep patterns.
Here’s a link to the Perfect Amino and the hydrolyzed collagen we recommend:
Top Supplement #3: Once-Daily Health Booster
Today, let’s switch gears a bit…
The third supplement in the top ten for 2016 is a formula called Once-Daily Health Booster.
Once Daily Health Booster, by Life Extension Foundation, is a blend of nutrients and whole foods designed to protect the cells from a spectrum of aging factors…
I love this formula because it is taken once daily, with the largest meal of the day.
Here’s a list of the ingredients and their benefits:
- Gamma E with Mixed Tocopherols – This form of vitamin E is a powerful inhibitor of an especially damaging free radical called peroxynitrite, which has been linked to premature aging.
- Vitamin K1 & K2 – Keeps calcium in the bones AND out of the arteries
- Macuguard – This is a blend of carotenoids that are especially powerful at protecting the eyes from free radical damage.
- Saffron extract – Helps to protect the eyes from damage.
- Wild Blueberry Extract – Helps to protect the brain and arteries from damage.
- Chlorophyllin – Helps to protect the DNA from damage caused by exposure to carcinogens found in our everyday diet.
- Lycopene – Carotenoid known to protect the prostate and arteries.
- Methyl-B12 – Improves memory, protects nerves, and helps to maintain healthy energy levels.
- Sesame Seed Lignan Extract – Helps to increase absorption of the gamma E with mixed tocopherols.
- Cyanidin-3-glucoside from Black Currant Extract – Protects the eyes from damage caused by UV light and other things.
All that in one softgel. That’s why I love this formula.
I usually recommend this to be taken at dinnertime because that is generally the largest meal of the day and the nutrients in this formula will absorb best when taken with food that contains some fat.
In addition, after a larger meal it is not uncommon for the muscles that surround the arteries to contract, which can place excess strain on the heart…
When antioxidants, such as those found in this formula, are taken at mealtime it can help to decrease these spasms and prevent the post meal blood pressure spike that can occur.
This is especially important for men over 50 who are at greater risk of sudden heart attack…
There’s no doubt that our cells are under constant assault from excess free radicals, which promotes premature aging…
I am not a fan of taking large doses of a single antioxidant, instead, I prefer to take smaller quantities of a spectrum of antioxidants. The Once-Daily Health Booster delivers a nice spectrum all in one softgel and each bottle lasts 60 days.
Here’s a link to the formula: http://expertnutr.wpengine.com/product/once-daily-health-booster-60-softgels/
Top Supplement #4: Berberine
As you can see from the headline above, this is the fourth in a series of ten regarding my top ten supplement picks for 2016!
Let’s briefly review:
Hydrolyzed collagen – 1 tablespoon twice daily – Great for arthritis, hair, skin, and nails.
Perfect Amino XP – 1-2 scoops per day – Great for muscle strength, muscle recovery, energy improvements, hair, and overall vitality.
Once-Daily Health Booster – 1 softgel once daily – Broad spectrum antioxidant and nutritional support to slow aging and protect the heart and blood vessels.
The next supplement on the list is a product called “Berberine”…
Berberine is a natural plant compound, found in a number of herbs, which activates an enzyme system within the cell called AMP Kinase (AMPK).
AMPK is super important for healthy blood sugar, in fact, one of the most effective diabetes drugs, metformin, works primarily by activating AMPK…
…but, the importance of AMPK goes well beyond blood sugar management, it has powerful anti-aging benefits as well.
When AMPK isn’t functioning optimally, which happens as we age, it sets us up for diabetes, heart disease, dementia, and possibly even cancer.
Anything we can do to keep the AMPK pathway working in our body will help to keep us more youthful and healthy!
Berberine achieves this goal better than any other supplement, in fact, some research suggests that it activates AMPK even better than metformin!
In one study, both metformin and berberine lowered blood sugar, however, only the berberine improved cholesterol levels.
So, let’s get into how to use it…
First, if you’re generally healthy and want to take the Berberine for its anti-aging benefits, I recommend Berberine 500 mg by Thorne Research at a dose of 500 mg (1 capsule) twice daily.
If you have been told that you are “pre-diabetic” or suffer from insulin resistance, I recommend the same formula taken 1 capsule three times daily with each main meal. (alternatively, you can take two caps at breakfast and one capsule at dinner)
If you’ve been diagnosed with full-blown diabetes, I recommend that you take a formula called Glucose IR (which combines berberine with other powerful blood sugar support herbs and nutrients). Recommended dose: 2 capsules twice daily to start (up to 3 capsules twice daily for stubborn blood sugars).
Our goal with supplements like the four that we have discussed so far is to attempt to restore youthful reserve by providing building blocks needed for recovery and repair while activating the anti-aging enzyme systems that slow the aging process.
Here are the two formulas discussed in this section:
Top Supplement #5: Fructoborate
So far we’ve cover the first 5 top supplements of 2016-2017, they are:
1. Hydrolyzed collagen – Joint, skin, and nail health.
2. Perfect Amino XP – Muscle and organ repair, energy and vitality
3. Once-Daily Health Booster – Broad spectrum anti-aging support
4. Berberine – Healthy blood sugar, cholesterol, anti-aging support.
Today, we’re going to talk about a supplement that helps to lower inflammation, build the bones, regulate immune function, lower PSA (potentially lowering prostate cancer risk/aggressiveness of prostate cancer), balances hormones in both men and women, stimulate antioxidant production at the cellular level, and more!
A tall order, I know, but the science is there, which is precisely why it makes the top 10 list for 2017…
The supplement is called “fructoborate”, and it’s a highly bioavailable form of boron.
Here are the benefits of incorporating this patented trace mineral formula into your program…
First, fructoborate decreases the excretion of both calcium and magnesium while stimulating bone cells to get to work building new bone.
Let’s not forget that osteoporosis is one of the hallmarks of premature and inappropriate aging. Contrary to popular belief, osteoporosis is not a natural process of aging.
This makes fructoborate one of the few supplements that promotes the REMINERALIZATION of bone.
This is also why fructoborate was added to my osteoporosis protocol this year along with a silica supplement called Osteo-Sil (didn’t make the top-ten list this year, but there’s always next year!)
You’ve probably noticed that a lot of the supplements on the top 10 list for this year offer multiple benefits and today’s recommendation is no different…
Fructoborate seems to also lower C-reactive protein and rapidly decrease inflammation within the body…
One study noted significant decreases in pain and swelling of osteoarthritis patients who took it for 8 weeks.
What’s fascinating is how it appears to work…
When the immune cells are called to an area of trauma, damage, or inflammation, they unload bursts of free-radical compounds that act to break up bacteria, viruses, fungi, and damaged tissue. This is a great thing, unless the cells unleash too many free-radical bursts…
Fructoborate appears to normalize the bursts of oxidants so that you get just the right amount of punch to the area that needs it without overdoing it…
In essence, your immune cells become an effective sharp-shooters rather than just unloading a barrage of machine-gun fire at the bad AND good cells!
In addition, fructobotate appears to stimulate your cells natural antioxidant production. (We’ll talk more about this later) For now, just know that fructoborate has antioxidant benefits, even though it is not an antioxidant in and of itself.
Next, research into boron has shown it to be quite helpful in regulating hormone production in men and women alike. This may help to normalize testosterone and estrogen for stronger bones and improved vitality.
The last benefit is for the men…and that is potential protection from prostate cancer.
In population studies, men who consumed the most boron in their diets were 64% less likely to develop prostate cancer.
In addition, in mice, boron supplementation lowered PSA levels by 87% AND decreased prostate tumor size significantly.
Not all boron supplements are alike…
Fructoborate is the form that is identical to the boron found in fruits and vegetables! It absorbs best and sticks to the cell receptors better than any other form.
This makes it superior for results…
I recommend 5-6 mg per day for most people.
For those people who are dealing with a lot of inflammation that does not respond to other supplements (like turmeric), the recommended dose is 5-6 mg twice daily for 6-8 weeks followed by 5-6 mg daily.
There are two formulas available that contain fructoborate…
The first one is called Fructo Borate by BioImmersion. This formula contains just pure fructoborate (6 mg per capsule). This is great for those who want to keep things simple or for those who have a lot of sensitivities.
The other formula combines fructoborate with alkalinizing fruit, vegetable, and herbal extracts to promote a healthy pH, which may also be beneficial for people with osteoporosis.
If you choose to use the pH Alkalizer PM formula, you can take 3 capsules or one scoop of powder (which is a pleasant grape flavor) per day – each serving delivers 5.4 mg of boron.
I prefer the pH Alkalizer PM formula because of the pH and antioxidant support. For those people who like it simple, choose the Fructo Borate formula as an alternative.