Weight gain and obesity are a matter of concern for many. For some, it can be a constant battle to try to burn off the calories they take in through exercise and normal daily activities.
Genetics and hormonal fluctuations can contribute to weight gain or a person’s ability to lose weight. Other causes are inactivity, an unhealthy diet or eating habits, lack of sleep, excessive stress and certain medications. Even some medical conditions can lead to added weight.
Being overweight puts you at higher risk of developing a number of health problems, such as high cholesterol, Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, strokes, sleep apnea, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and osteoarthritis.
A healthy diet and exercise program can help you manage your weight. At the same time, you can try some herbs to help lose weight.
Here are the top 10 herbs for weight loss.
Ginger can be effective in promoting weight loss. A 2012 study published in the Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental journal found that ginger consumption enhances the thermic effect of food and promotes feelings of satiety. This prevents unnecessary snacking and compulsive eating of high-calorie foods.
In addition, ginger improves digestion and boosts your metabolism.
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of ginger tea daily.
- Chew small pieces of ginger between meals or add grated ginger to main dishes.
- You can also take ginger capsules, but only after consulting your doctor.
2. Green Tea
Drink green tea to boost your metabolism and burn more calories. The antioxidant called catechins in green tea stimulate the fat-burning process.
A 2014 study at Penn State’s College of Agricultural Sciences found that mice fed a high-fat diet that also consumed decaffeinated green tea extract and exercised regularly experienced weight loss and significant health improvements. Researchers suggest that green tea looks promising for people who wish to lose weight.
- Put 1 to 2 teaspoons of good quality green tea in a cup and pour hot water over it.
- Let it steep for 2 to 3 minutes, then strain it.
- Drink 3 to 4 cups of green tea throughout the day.
This herb also can help you reach your weight loss target. Curcumin, one of turmeric’s most thoroughly studied active ingredients, helps increase the flow of bile. This is important in breaking down fat.
It also improves insulin resistance as well as treats inflammatory symptoms associated with obesity and metabolic disorders.
- Prepare a detox drink by mixing 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, juice from 1 lemon, a pinch of cayenne pepper and a little raw honey (for taste) in 1 cup of warm water. Drink this once daily.
- You can also drink turmeric tea. To make the tea, add ½ teaspoon each of turmeric powder and dry ginger powder to 2 cups of boiling water and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Strain, add lemon juice for taste and drink it twice daily.
- Another option is to take curcumin supplements after consulting a doctor.
This beautiful herb is loaded with nutrients, flavonoids and various minerals that help lower the body’s absorption of fats and carbohydrates. This in turn aids weight management. In addition, its diuretic nature helps you shed water weight.
In a 2014 study published in the Food & Function Journal, researchers found that people who took tablets made from hibiscus extracts for 12 weeks showed reduced waist circumference, body fat percentage and hip-to-waist ratio.
- You can drink 2 to 3 cups of hibiscus tea daily. To make the tea, add 2 tablespoons of dried hibiscus petals to 2 cups of water. Bring it to a boil, then simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Strain and add honey and lemon juice for taste.
- You can also take hibiscus in supplement form after consulting a doctor.
Note: If you are a pregnant or nursing woman or taking medication, consult your doctor before taking this herb.
5. Korean Ginseng
Korean ginseng, also known as Panax ginseng or Asian ginseng, is valued for its ability to boost energy levels and speed metabolism, which help with weight loss. In addition, it improves insulin sensitivity as well as stress management.
- You can drink 2 cups of Korean ginseng tea daily. The tea is readily available in the market.
- Alternatively, take 1 to 3 capsules of 500 mg Korean ginseng daily for 3 months or less.
Do not take this tea or supplement without your doctor’s permission.
Note: Avoid using Korean ginseng for extended periods. Do not use this herb if you have hormone-related conditions.
Dandelion is another useful herb for overweight people who wish to shed some pounds. The phytochemicals in dandelion give it diuretic and laxative properties. It increases the volume and frequency of urination, which helps get rid of water weight.
In addition, this herb helps normalize blood sugar, remove toxins from the body, suppress appetite and fight inflammation.
- Drink a cup of dandelion tea daily prior to each meal. To make the tea, add 2 teaspoons of dried dandelion root to 1 cup of water and boil it for 1 minute. Remove from heat and steep for about 10 minutes. Strain and drink your tea.
- You can also add fresh dandelion greens to salads or soups.
Avoid taking this herb for extended periods.
Note: As this herb can interact with certain medications, consult your doctor before using it.
If you have gained anything from reading this, don’t hesitate to share it with others too. Put your comments and questions or topics you will like us to write about in the comment box below.
Stay Healthy And Never Give Up!
Akam Health Care
Tel – 08145033314, 09055786118
Email – email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook – @akamnaturecare